Tuesday, September 08, 2009

If It Walks Like A Duck...

Today I was scheduled for both morning and afternoon meetings at the Tower Mall offices. So, I decided to visit Ballew's for lunch. I can't remember the last time I was there, but I always enjoyed the little restaurant at 612 N Devine Rd.

I arrived promptly at 10:59 AM so I could meet my second deadline only to find that they "weren't quite open yet." I was anxious to wash my hands after using a public computer key board, and they were willing to let me use the restroom and take a seat to wait out resolution of last-minute preparation glitches.

Imagine my surprise when a lady came up to my booth with a camera, introduced herself as the restaurant's webmaster, and asked if she could take my picture to post as their "first customer." I had not noticed the banner outside announcing the grand opening of Duck Tales Kitchen by Steven & Jane Waddle, offering "Food, Drinks, and Catering." After a big smile and the click of a shutter, she made sure she got my name, spelled correctly.

While I was there, several folks from the neighborhood stopped by to chat and inquire if happy hour was still going to be an all-day Monday affair. It is. And I was glad for the warm reception the restaurant seemed to be getting. It is a gutsy thing to start a new business in this economy, but these are no amateurs when it comes to offering good food and a yummy atmosphere.

You may remember the Waddle name. This couple is related to Waddle's at Jantzen beach, which closed a few years ago to be replaced by Hooters. And, no, I've never been to the latter. But I would recommend that you try out the Waddle's new, smaller, culinary venture with a name that is equally ducky. I had the spinach shrimp salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing, and it was wonderful. The salad was well presented, the shrimp was grilled to perfection, and the dressing was a perfect blend of tangy and sweet. Jane stopped by to ask how my meal was, and I was pleased to tell her it was very good!

You can check out them out at http://www.ducktaleskitchen.com/. (You'll find a picture of me and my salad.) Or, better yet, drop by for lunch.


1 comment:

SiteBuilder Now said...

Hi Kristi, Thank you so much for the post. You were a great "first customer and we hope to see you any time you "have to use a public keyboard (or just 'cause Steve and Jane are always going to have great food and treat you just like they would if you went to their house for dinner or lunch :-) - Harmony (the webmaster)